You might be thinking about kick starting your fitness or strength training or wanting that extra attention to accompany your training while travelling or just getting focussed for a certain goal. We’ve checked out the best online personal training apps for you to consider to help you on your way.
Whether it’s starting out on your fitness routine, or aiming to perfect your inner-Thor, there is a personal training app to suit your needs. Some are free and other apps charge a subscription fee. We did some research to find out what’s available and what they include. They’re also great if you prefer to work out in the comfort of your home.
Here’s what we found…
There’s so many options and so much choice! Some training apps are general and may include a combination of cardio fitness, strength and flexibility training, while others also include nutritional programmes, even recipes, and others with flexibility and relaxation training to wind down.
Some training apps are targeted for a specific use, such as weight management, or geared to a particular type of training, such as strength training, walking, cycling, rowing, running, climbing.
Some training apps provide appeal for their personalised training programmes, at real time, and track your own performance towards achieving your goals, and there’s the option to join a training group and of course share your results with others to offer support and help keep you motivated. And there are apps that are linked to fitness equipment allowing you to customise your training programme and provide with free upgrades so you always have the latest tech.
- Your mobile phone or tablet probably already has one or two fitness apps available. This will depend on your mobile device and the age of it. Check your Android or Apple apps or search to download and sync your data. If you’re unsure check your device settings or visit the Google Apps Store or Apple Apps Store to review the features and then download the app.
- Examples of General Training Apps with over 4.5 star rating include Walking Mate, Nike Training Club, 7 Minute Workout
- Examples of Data Tracking (performance, calories, sleep) and sharing your progress for fitness enthusiasts and elite athletes include, Garmin, Strava, Polar.
- Check out the free Mindfulness apps.
- Looking for more inspiration…check out the The Sports Edit for ideas.
A good tip is to ask your friends or personal trainers what they use and why. Once you narrow the range down, then check out the customer reviews and compare apps with the options to sync your music, sync your data to all devices, visually plot and track your progress, provide prompts and alternatives. There’s even on-demand training from personal trainers no matter the time or day, so no excuses not to train. OK you might need to tidy up your training zone! The price will depend on a range of factors.
- Examples of Real Time Personal Training apps that are customised with different length of sessions include Gixo
- Examples of Personal Training with multiple programmes, diet with or without relaxation and data tracking including the latest – Centr from Chris Hemsworth, Michelle Bridges 12 week body transformation.
- Check out the latest quick rundown of apps from Marie Claire.
Fitness Equipment Training Apps
You might be surprised what gyms and fitness equipment can do technology-wise today!
Just like cars and other appliances, tech has come to fitness equipment. The latest technology in fitness and strength equipment incorporates digital and customised programmes, virtual scenic routes, data tracking with syncing to all of your devices, syncing your training with your music, and performance feedback to enable you to get the most from your training. What’s more, most apps enable you to upgrade your app without having to upgrade your fitness equipment or gym.
- Examples of Fitness Equipment available with apps for multiple equipment includes NOHrD, Technogym, and Matrix
- Examples of specific use apps for competition and/or virtual routes or races include rowing by WaterRower, indoor cycling BodyBike
Future of Digital Personal Training
With the rate of progress with Artificial Intelligence, it’s likely that robots will be programmed to deliver customised training programmes for individual, family and group use to suit a range of training needs for beginners to elite, rehabilitation, and return to work fitness.
In the meantime, let’s embrace the fitness movement of today! For more training ideas, check out some training videos.
Do you have a favourite app to share?
Drop a line and tell Elite Fitness Equipment Perth what works for you and we’ll share and care!